I am beginning to use this Part 2 theme quit a bit. Last week I wrote about how there seems to be a general lack of worth while sport's stars to look up to anymore. It always seems like these days sports stars are more concerned with their image and how much of a side show they can put on. If tonight's match up of Owen vs. Moss would have happened a few years ago I wouldn't have bothered to watch, I would have probably routed for neither team to win. However, Randy Moss's antics have apparently diminished now that he has joined the Patriots, I know we are only 6 weeks in and there is still plenty of time for a meltdown but I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt, for now.
This leads me to my main point. I pulled up ESPN.com and was glancing over the main stories of the night when I noticed an odd headline at the bottom of the news section. The headline read "Lake Fenton's 'King Eli' loses fight with leukemia" (the same article was featured as a main topic lower on the home page as well). The reason this caught my attention is the fact that I grew up in Fenton, whose northern city limit is shared with Lake Fenton. Lake Fenton was our significantly smaller neighbor whose name brings back memories of their large lake, beach volleyball, wasting a Saturday taking the ACT, and winning medals in their annual Blue Devil Track and Field Relay's. Needless to say I was a little shocked to think that ESPN was running a feature over this little lake city next to my home town. If you haven't all ready done so you need to take minute and read the full article through the link above as well as this initial article wrote a week prior Weiner: Eli shines in homecoming spotlight.
It would surely be a different world if we all showed the compassion these 5 young men have.
Thank you, British Academy
5 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment