Thursday, October 4, 2007

Bumper Stickers

Bumper stickers, we all see them, I tend to pay attention to them a little more then others. With the commute in Orlando and now here it Atlanta, yeah I tend to see one or two cars on the road. You've got the fancy "W - The President" sticker, the oh so classy "F The President" rebuttal. The cool "W - The School" knock-off that our local Walton H.S. came out with. The bipartisan "Run Hillary Run" sticker (Dems place on rear bumper, Reps place on front bumper). Oh and don't forget that highly sophisticated, Dr. Seuss written "Bush Lied People Died" decree.

Some of you may recall my unofficial, yet highly scientific, bumper stick poll that correctly predicted the Bush/Cheney victory in the 2004 election. That poll also produced a lot of other interesting results pertaining to the makes and models of vehicles versus the candidate they were supporting. I won't bore you with that because I am well aware (my wife told me) that only us analytical, accounting, nerds like to look at stats like that.

Unfortunately any chance to replicate those results would prove to be futile given my new surroundings. I can guarantee what those results would show. Whatever republican runs will win by an unprecedented 80/20 split (Ron Paul may only win 60/40 though). Plus the make/model stats would be skewed as well given that 50% of the cars are either a BMW, Benz, or Lexus, while 25% are Yukons, Suburbans, or Escalades, 15% Mini-vans and the remaining 10% are people who don’t live in the area and are just passing through.

One of the things I like bumper stickers for is it that they help to give a good description of the person driving the vehicle. More important is they help ID the people I want to stay away from. You know who I am talking about, that guy who looks all normal until they go get in their car and you can’t tell whether they are trying to make a statement or if they just need the stickers to hold their car together. I rank those people only slightly above the ones who still have their Kerry/Edwards stickers still on their car. You know what? I know you are making a point that you didn’t vote for Bush, I get it, you voted for someone who people liked less then Bush. But It’s been 3 years, you lost, get over it!!!

All of this leads me to this guy. This car I saw in the Publix parking lot the other day. Apparently with all the bumper stickers out there this guy couldn’t find just the right one to get their point across, so they made their own.



Now I don’t have a problem with making your own bumper sticker and taping it to your car, okay yeah, yeah I do. But that’s beside the point. If you are going to make your own in order to make a point…then make it! Now I’m not a big fan of the ACLU or Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson for that matter. I mean as Glenn Beck pointed out the other day, how much trouble would he be in if he came out and said he had a problem with Giuliani because he was acting to black (as Jackson did commenting on Obama acting to White). But I digress, that’s a whole other ramble. My point is what is this guy trying to say? Is he asking a question? Does he need clarification? Is he trying to make a joke, what's the punch line? Or is he trying to make some correlation that I am just missing?

Can anyone help me out here?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The punchline is....you can negotiate with a terrorist. I've heard that joke before, but I think it was told, "what's the difference between a traditionalist and a terrorist?" (