I couldn't believe my eyes this morning when I read the trailer to an article stating...."The Economist Endorses Barack Obama". I mean who would have thought that the Economist would support policy that states increased taxes (yes I know it's only on the top 5% but that is still the majority of tax dollars received) as well as increased federal spending. This article seemed completely contradictory to what logic would tell me. So I had to read the article...and guess what? I find myself agreeing with them! I can understand and agree with their logic for supporting an Obama presidency. WARNING- I said I understand and agree with their argument do not take that as I am now supporting him.
The article is actually funny and reads more as a back-handed compliment, to both candidates, rather then a full on praise endorsement. The interesting thing is the criteria that the Economist uses for it's endorsement...is not the economy. They are actually fairly rough on Obama when it comes to how they feel he will fair with the economy. What the Economist looks at is how the two candidates have managed this entire election process. In their opinion Obama has clearly done a far better job and given the arguments listed it's hard to disagree.
The one line that continues to catch my attention is that "he [Obama] offers the better chance at restoring America's self-confidence." I think between the two candidates this is a fairly accurate statement. Given the great political divide in this country that is something that is desperately needed. Unfortunately, there is more to being President then just bringing people together and as the Economist points out "Given Mr Obama’s inexperience, the lack of clarity about some of his beliefs and the prospect of a stridently Democratic Congress, voting for him is a risk." And as I my last posting discussed, his ability to meet expectations is in serious question.
So yes, while I can agree with the criteria and statements the Economist used on their endorsement for Obama, their supporting arguments just reaffirm my fears of an Obama presidency.
Thank you, British Academy
5 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment