Sunday, November 16, 2008

Why We Don't Listen to Celebrities

So I've backed off all this election stuff for a week and a half now but I can't take it anymore. I am so tired of hearing about Proposition 8 in California. If it's not protests in California it's celebrities sharing their important two cents (and that's probably giving them too much value). Now we've had protests here in Atlanta...over how the people of California voted.

I read this article last week where all these celebrities spout off with their views on the subject. I'll tell you it's rather irritating. This is why you shouldn't take advice from celebrities, they don't live in the real world. I can not stand listening to them ramble about how people are so "narrow minded" or full of hate, oppressive or discriminating...you know all the harsh words people like to use to try and show how superior they themselves are. The fact is the people who throw those words out there completely fail to understand what they are arguing against.

Personally I don't care whether you are gay, straight or indifferent. How you live your life is a decision you make. The issue resides in the sanctity of marriage. Marriage is covenant you enter between you, your spouse and God. So a few things come to mind. First off, when you get married (typically) you stand in front of God, your family and your friends and you make that commitment. So if, as directed in the Bible, marriage is between a man and a women and homosexuality is wrong...then why would you stand there and be hypocritical? If you believe in God and that the Bible is His word, then what is their to debate? Finally, why is it wrong to stand up for what you believe in. Why is it wrong to voice your opinion (i.e. vote) consistently with your moral values? Isn't that the point of the democratic process?

A funny thing happened on the way to the voting booths, people voiced their opinion that they wanted "Change". Anyone will tell you that, when it comes to our Presidential Election, the people spoke and the message was heard, they will tell you that Obama won a decisive victory (and he did). Obama pulled in 52.5% of the popular vote. Coincidentally Proposition 8 in CA passed with 52.2% of the popular vote. I would say that falls into the same "decisive" category.

How did the people get the Presidential choice right but the moral dilemma wrong?Let's praise the system for our candidate winning but protest that our proposition lost.

Can you imagine the outcry there would be if McCain supports waged such a revolt against this democratic process? If they were out there complaining as much as those against Prop 8. I would hate to imagine how things would have been if Obama would have lost. If this was such an important issue as everyone is complaining it is maybe more people should have voted for/against it. But that is the beauty of the American process, if you don't like the results...you'll get a chance to change them next year (or in 2-4 years). But for now the American people are looking for change in our government (they want more of it) but they have not lost sight of their moral beliefs along the way.

No comments: