Tuesday, November 4, 2008

What to Do?

I half jokingly changed my Facebook Status this morning to "needs to decide who to vote for! Sarah Palin or Bob Barr". Someone questioned me as to if I was actually considering to vote for Bob Barr...and the answer is actually "Yes I am". Granted I have pretty much decided I am voting for Sarah Palin but there is still about 27.6% of me that wants to vote for Bob Barr.

Let me explain.

This is a Presidential election and the 3 Presidential candidates are Obama, McCain and Barr. These are the candidates that will potentially lead this country.

When you vote you should vote FOR a candidate, you should not vote AGAINST a candidate. You do not vote solely because someone is a Republican or because they are a Democrat. When you vote you should vote for who the candidate is, not who they are not. You vote for the candidate in which your policies agree with, the one you have the most in common with. Not the one who is the most popular or has the best celebrity endorsements. Not because their skin color is one or the other. (Here's a side note if you vote for someone because they are white then yes you are racist, conversely if you vote for someone solely because they are black...then you are just as much of a racist as the person you are chastising...but I digress.) You vote for the one you feel will lead this country in the direction you feel is best.

Most people have probably 3, 4 or 5 topics which are important to them, everyone has at least 1 topic. My top 3 issues are moral value, economic policy/fiscal responsibility, personal responsibility.

I have absolutely nothing in common with Obama. According to his record (not rhetoric) I am in 99% disagreement with him. His moral views, his financial policies, his views on personal responsibility...nothing! I personally think the change he will bring...and there will be change...will be from bad to worse.

In the same regards, I have very little in common with John McCain. My theory is he's the lesser of two evils. He was actually like my 3rd or 4th choice in the Republican Primaries. So then when you then look at policy...the majority of my views are in-line with Bob Barr (not all, but a majority).

By voting for John McCain I would be doing just that, I would be voting against Barack Obama. The issue becomes my rational side. I know Bob Barr does not stand a chance but I do not agree with, so therefore can not support, McCain...so I make myself feel better and lean towards the VP candidate of Sarah Palin with whom I can fully support, but as my first point stated she's not the Presidential candidate.

So again...do I vote with my head or my heart.

No comments: