Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Power of Prayer

I learned a valuable lesson about the power or prayer yesterday.

I took the kids to the park to play on the playground and we got to have a fun time watching a horse show and a dog show as well. After watching those for a little while we went over and had a good time playing on the play set and swings. After an hour or so I was able to talk the girls into taking a walk through the woods or the "Spooooky Forrest" as Allison calls it. Of course the walk through the woods was just an excuse so Andrew and I could play a little disc golf. Hole 11 is where the difficulties began (we had to skip the first 4 holes because the course overlapped with the dog show). I had a great second shot approach (from about 200 ft) which landed about 20 feet in front of the cage but when we got up there...there was no disk..and no one else around. We searched literally for 45 minutes and could not find the stupid thing. I looked everywhere! I went back and plotted out the throw again, position Andrew where it landed and still nothing. So after 45 minutes I knew we needed to just get going but I couldn't stand giving up and not finding this thing so I closed my eyes and said a little prayer.

"Lord please help me to find this disc so we can go. Show me where it is and make it easy for me to leave."

So I wandered back up into an area I was sure it had to be. That's when it happened. I felt a little poke on my right shin, I shaked my leg to make it go away, except the poking turned into more of a burning stinging feeling. My immediate reaction was to swat at what ever it was. Right as I hit it I saw about an inch long black and yellow thing getting knocked to the ground. I turned and saw about 7 others flying out of the ground. That's when I felt another on the inside of my arm. I immediately ran the other direction (away from the nest and away from the kids who were all ready a good safe distance away).

Fortunately I only received 3 stings but I heard the message loud and clear. God heard me ask to make it easy for me to give up looking and to just leave. He did! Apparently he didn't want me to find that disc. He just wanted me to go and buy a new one!

Moral of the story is that you need to be careful of what you wish for...you might get it... and that God's ways are not always our ways! After all I did ask for him to make it easy for me to leave, which he did! He also had a plan in case I had the stupid thought of going back. One of the (no so) little buggers was hiding in the fold of my rolled up sleeve. I'm sure if the thought of going back crossed my mind I'd of probably had a 4th mark to really make the point.

1 comment:

Tracy M Luchenbill Johns said...

Amen! And... Yikes! It's a good thing one of the kids didn't come across that nest! You ok?? And I'm sure Nick would also like to know... How's the new disc? Test it out yet? =)