Saturday, May 31, 2008

Let's Have Another

While catching up on one of my favorite blogs "Game Theorist" by an Australian economist named Joshua Gans (he fuses economics and parenting) I came across yesterdays post Data-driven parenting.

There were two parts that I really enjoyed about this post. First Gans discusses a segment of his book Parentonomics in which he recalls the birth of one of his children and the fond memories of the "Contraction-meter". This immediately triggered my own memories of being fascinated with watching the numbers increase and decrease and scoping out the little print out. Unlike Gans though I was smart enough (from fear of DEATH) to keep my mouth shut and not point out that "Oh here comes a good one!" or "Oh that was a good one!" A bit of advice to any expectant father out there, don't do anything to trigger the "You did this to me!" memory. Unless you want to end up in a hospital bed as well, do yourself a favor and just stand there with you mouth shut and a smile on your face.

The other topic in his post discussed a service for tracking any and every baby statistic. Seeing as my job is tracking trends and drawing the correlations between them I immediately thought this is kinda cool. I wish I would have known about this 3 years ago. I also had one other thought which was a temporary moment of insanity in thinking "this makes me want to have another one." Yes I know I am insane, 3 little girls running around all under 3 and I am thinking "let's throw another one in the mix?" Don't worry...it's not gonna happen! But you get the point. I get excited about stats and trends...yes I am a dork!

Fortunately though I know I am not alone. I know of two family members that are either doing something similar right now or would use the service on their next one. Check out Trixie Tracker and/or Babblesoft.

No comments: